Wilted Kale with Bacon and Butternut Squash is a wonderful winter side that will fill you up without weighing you down!
But first, this is my first recipe in quite a while!
Let me tell you, grief is a BEAST. It takes things away from you that you don’t expect. One of the things it robbed me of for the last year or so was any desire to cook or be creative in the kitchen.
The good news is that the excitement is coming back, slowly but surely. I’ve also been following a plan to eat more healthfully in a sustainable way, and that’s also inspiring me to do more in the kitchen!
This Wilted Kale with Bacon and Butternut Squash is an incredible side, or just pile it on your plate, top it with a sunny side up egg or two, and make a meal of it.
If you follow Weight Watchers (more on that another day!) it’s only 6 Freestyle Smart Points for the entire pan, or 2 points per serving (I don’t understand the math, I just report what the recipe builder says).
Make Wilted Kale with Bacon and Butternut Squash ASAP, it’s so good!
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1/2t Salt
- 1/2t Red Curry Spice
- 8 C Bagged Kale
- 2 Strips of Bacon
- 2T Minced Shallot
- 1 Clove Minced Garlic
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- Preheat Oven to 450f
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and de-seed
- Peel and cut squash into 1/2 inch cubes
- Toss with olive oil, salt, and curry powder
- Spread evenly on a aluminum lined sheet pan
- Roast squash 30-45 minutes. We'll only use about 1/4 of this squash per batch of wilted kale, so feel free to use the rest for another recipe!
- Slice bacon into small pieces and cook in a large pan until crispy.
- Remove bacon, leaving grease in the pan.
- Cook shallots and garlic in the pan until they are caramelized.
- Add in kale, using tongs to coat with grease and shallots/garlic.
- Once the kale is wilted and tender add the bacon and squash back in, tossing to evenly distribute.
- Squeeze Lemon over entire thing.
- Serve warm.
- Top with a fried egg (or two!) to make it a meal!