Every once in a while one of those recipes works its way into your life and you just know it will never leave.
You’ll keep going back to it over and over again, making it for family and friends, lunching on leftovers throughout the week (if there are any!), making a tweak here and there, but always returning to the original.
This carnitas recipe, and the tacos you can make with it are about to become one of those recipes for you.
I’m so excited to team up with my bloggy friend Sasha Johns, who is currently running a Kickstarter for her amazing wine jellies.
In return for writing a recipe and helping her promote her Kickstarter, Sasha provided me with three jellies—two to try, and one to give away!!
As you’ll see, I’ve already opened and used the Sangria jelly, but because I value you, and only want the best for your tastebuds, I want YOU to be able to choose between the two other flavors Sasha sent my way.
It’s your choice: Do you want Moscato….
Or Cabernet Savignon?
Leave your choice in the comments, check out Sasha’s Kickstarter, like Lizzy is Dizzy on Facebook, and I’ll pick one lucky winner!!
But wait, there’s more!
I promised a recipe here too.
These Carnitas Tacos are insane, and makes a ton of meat! I’ve been adding it into some paleo burrito bowls all week.
Btw, did you know that soft shell tacos are really hard to take pictures of unless you have one of those fancy taco holders?
While these tacos are good on their own, the sweet boozy zing of the jelly seriously kicks it up a notch or eleven.
Let’s do this.
- 3-4 lb Pork shoulder
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 T Chili powder
- 1 t Cumin
- 2 t Oregano
- 2 T Salt
- 1 t Pepper
- 1 t Garlic powder
- 1 t Onion powder
- 1 Onion, quartered
- Corn tortillas
- Cabbage, sliced thinly (or some slaw!)
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 3 T True Vine Gifts Sangria Jelly
- Queso Fresco
- Sour Cream
- Quarter onion, place in the bottom of slow cooker with lemon and lime juices
- Mix together chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Rub mixture all over pork shoulder.
- Place pork in slow cooker on top of onions and juices.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4, until pork falls apart with you try to stick a fork in it :)
- Shred pork, spread over a baking sheet, and put under the broiler for 4-6 minutes, until sizzly and slightly crisp.
- When ready to construct tacos, warm corn tortillas slightly either in the microwave, or over a gas burner for a few seconds to make them more pliable.
- Mix jelly with a little bit of water to make it more easily drizzled
- Build tacos using carnitas, cabbage, Sangria jelly, Sour cream, queso fresco, and a slice of avocado.